The aim of this project was to introduce and demonstrate the feasibility and applicability of the Closed-Looped Cycle Production method in business innovation and government within the manufacturing sectors of countries from South America, such as: Ecuador, Colombia, Panama and Trinidad & Tobago.
Focus areas of cradle to cradle in South America
- Awareness and capacity – government and national company capacity was created and enhanced in order to develop closed-loop cycle production projects, in particular for SMEs in prioritised sub-sectors. C2C ExpoLAB developed presentations and toolkits for raising awareness on cradle to cradle principles for the C2C project in South America.
- Collaboration, dialogue and policy – an institutional framework was established to facilitate collaboration and dialogue between all involved parties, and to expedite the appropriate design and application of Closed-Looped Cycle Production policy and projects in manufacturing sectors and projects.
- Productivity and presentation – the profitability and sustainability of companies (including SMEs) which apply the Closed-Loop Cycle Production method within the prioritised manufacturing sectors and countries was actively demonstrated.
C2C ExpoLAB’s role
The Organization of American States invited C2C ExpoLAB to join as project partner by virtue of our unique cradle to cradle expertise. C2C ExpoLAB additionally manages the C2C Centre, which will be harnessed as a communication platform for the project.
- Maximising the application of cradle to cradle within the nominated projects;
- Developing awareness sessions specifically geared to SMEs;
- Knowledge sessions for potential participants, including government, ministries and local stakeholders;
- Project communication via the C2C Centre;
- Determining cradle to cradle ambitions, together with the SMEs, and providing support;
- Monitoring and amending quality standards;
- Conducting inspiration sessions and workshops in South America.
- Governments, educational institutions and businesses in Ecuador, Colombia, Peru, Panama & Trinidad & Tobago have been demonstrably inspired by C2C and the circular economy.
- A number of manufacturers have switched to C2C product certification.
- Universities in Colombia have incorporated C2C into their curriculum. In fact, a new building is even being designed according to C2C principles.
Realisation: 2011 – October 2015
Client: Organization of American States (OAS)
Partners: MBDC, Energy and Climate Partnership of the Americas, CNPML & US Environmental Protection Agency
Villaflora Box 174
5928 SZ Venlo – NL
We support the knowledge platform on Cradle to Cradle
Wij zijn partner van de C2C Bouwgroep